Saturday, February 09, 2008

FlightMemory.com

I recently came across this site, which allows you to keep track of every flight you've taken since the beginning of time (literally--I was amused to note that the date option box scrolled back to at least the 30th century B.C.!). If you want to keep it simple, you can just put in the airport codes for each flight. For more detail, it also offers options to input your travel dates, flight times, flight number, airline, seat number and type (aisle, middle, window), class of service, and reason for the flight (personal, business, or virtual/simulator). If you are really ambitious, there are even sections to fill in for type of airplane, airplane name and registration number, and comments. Registration and basic use (includes all the features I mention here plus a few more) is free, and all it takes to get started is a user name and password. My only real complaint is that there's no way to put in round trip flights together--instead you have to go through the process for each leg.

Once you have filled in your flight data, clicking on the "statistics" tab will give you tons of info about your flights, organized into various sections such as flight distances, amount of time spent flying, number of flights (broken down into domestic, transcontinental, etc.), longest and shortest flights, top ten airports and routes, and so forth. You can view this data all together, or break it down by year. My favorite feature is the map that shows each route you've taken.

I just stuck with the airport codes and dates, but must admit, I still spent way more time than I probably should have filling in data for all my flights since February 2004. What can I say, I'm a total nerd when it comes to statistics, especially those that in any way relate to my travels!

A few of my stats (Feb. 04-Feb '08)
Flights taken: 84
Miles flown: 115, 417 (equivalent to circumnavigating the globe 4.63 times!)
Longest flight: Atlanta, GA (ATL) to Athens, Greece (ATH) 5,694 miles / 10hr 41min
Shortest flight: Tahiti, FP (PPT) to Moorea, FP (MOZ) 15 miles / 32 min
Total airports: 31
Total routes: 62
Total countries: 11

Ok, so I know these are not the most impressive numbers in the world, but I'm working hard on getting them up as quickly as possible!

My full FM profile: http://my.flightmemory.com/travelprincessatl

http://www.flightmemory.com

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...